– by Noluthando Makhaza
It is said that knowledge is power and indeed UKZN Extended Learning recently empowered their employees by offering an hour-long session about the do’s and don’ts when encountering snakes.
Nick Evans – the founder of KZN Amphibian & Reptile Conservation gave an insightful and entertaining presentation that included:
- The common snake myths in our communities
- The impacts/non-impacts of repellents commonly used to keep snakes away
- The importance of snakes in the ecosystem
- The types of animals that feed on snakes
- What to do when you see a snake
- What to do when bitten by a snake
Nick also brought along three different snakes for a live demonstration.
UEL employees were well informed by the presentation and feel equipped to apply this knowledge in future.