About this programme:
There are very few opportunities in life that are really worth taking, that present themselves a second time. With such a high percentage of Grade 12 learners not meeting the Mathematics entrance requirements for study at a university, this programme is designed to give these learners a second chance.
It is put together as an intense two-week (80 hour) programme that allows students who pass with 60%, access to study a degree at UKZN where Mathematics is a prerequisite, provided that the applicant meets the other qualifying criteria of the University.
Due to the intense nature of this course, only individuals who completed their Matric in the past three years should apply. Applicants also need to enquire directly with the relevant College before completing this programme.
How you will benefit. You will learn to:
- Concentrate on just one subject instead of six or more
- Improve your understanding of mathematical concepts
- Gain confidence as you work through examples on your own and in the classroom
- Draw on the experience and skills of a Mathematics specialist at UKZN
Key focus areas:
- Set theory
- Equations and inequalities
- Perimeter, area and volume
- Linear, quadratic, semi-circles, rectangular hyperbola and piecewise functions
- Absolute values, circular (trigonometry), exponential and logarithmic
- Introduction to differential calculus and word problems
Who should attend:
- School leavers who passed Mathematics in their final NSC examinations (Matric examinations) desiring to pursue a Science or Commerce related degree
- This programme provides possible access to a Bachelor’s degree at UKZN, where Grade 12 Mathematics is an entrance requirement, provided that the applicant meets the other qualifying criteria of the University
To be considered for registration, an applicant must have obtained a pass symbol on Standard or Higher Grade Mathematics or NSC Mathematics in the final examinations in Grade 12.
Two weeks, Monday to Friday
|6th May 2019