About this programme:
The Sarchi Chair in Waste and Climate Change at UKZN has partnered with SANEDI and IWWG to offer an International Training Seminar and Summer School on the effective “Management of Waste as a Resource”. This programme will provide advanced training for Practitioners, Scientists and post graduate students on the most innovative practices in waste treatment, characterisation and valorisation.
The programme is a unique opportunity to engage with key national and international experts in waste management.
The Summer School has been designed as an introduction to the new coursework Master of Science in Engineering in Waste and Resources Management (WaRM) available from 2019.
The WaRM MScEng degree will be unique in South Africa and the African continent and it has been specifically formulated in response to the needs of the industry and governments, to address waste management issues and to close the knowledge gap that currently exists on the African continent by growing technical and research capacity through the dissemination of best Waste and Resources Management practice.
Key focus areas:
- Waste as a Problem (Impacts on Climate/Environment/Society)
- Waste as a Resource (Introduction/Research Methodologies)
- Waste Characterisation Techniques Part I
- Waste Characterisation Techniques Part II
- Integrated Waste management systems/Management of Industrial and Organic Waste
- The W.R.O.S.E Model – A Decision Making tool for municipalities
- Waste Management in Developing Countries – Part I (Case studies)
- Waste Management in Developing Countries – Part II (Control Management and Treatment of waste emissions)
- RDI in waste management – Innovative use of waste as a resource
- Full scale projects (lessons learnt)
Who should attend:
We invite practitioners, waste managers/regulators, professionals, companies in the waste sector for the specialised 3-day training seminar. Postgraduate students at tertiary education institutions are welcome to attend the full 5-day summer school.
The “International Training Seminar and Summer School” are accredited by the University of KwaZulu-Natal and are equivalent to 3 CPD points. The programme is presented at a HEQF level of 9 (MscEng). A certificate of attendance will be awarded to all participants completing the programme.
Students: R2 000
Practitioners: R6 000
IWWG/IWMSA Members: R4 000
HEI/SCR: R3 000
International Training Seminar: 26 – 28 November 2018
Summer School: 26 – 30 November 2018
|26th November 2018||Please see flyer|